Thursday, August 20, 2009

Balanced

This week has been wonderful and stressful at the same time. Dave had his first triathlon this last Saturday in Clermont. Oddly enough my first tri was there too, but that was SEVEN YEARS AGO! It was very nice to be able to cheer for him and be an encouragement and for him to understand that I had already swam that lake, biked those hills, and ran those miles. It was also bittersweet because it made me realise how much I miss training for something. Well, a little thing called 3 kids pops up and priorities must shift.
This is where a little thing called balance comes in. I struggle so much with this. Having played sports my entire life, you are always striving to be the best. You are competing with others and you must give 110%. I am struggling because as much as I want to give 100% to my husband, 100% to my kids, 100% to my quiet time, 100% to myself (training, running), I just can't and when you can't you feel like you are failing someone and then the guilt comes a knocking.
I need to be able to train for something and to make that training fit into my life so that I do not feel like I am taking time away from my family. Once again...I am struggling.
So, I am trying to cut myself a break on the mommy guilt and say that I am so happy that school starts Monday. School will allow me to be able to do the (minimum) training so that I can reach my 10K goal and who knows maybe even keep on training for the half marathon in March.
I will be able to give by 100% to everyone but I also have to be able to adjust my schedule and balance my time.

On a lighter note this month I have ran 58 miles. Not all at the same time but that is what training is all about. I am happy with the total so far and I am looking forward to October 11th with high hopes and a lot of happy kids too.


Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment